Old 12-03-2006, 04:58 AM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

Default Ponds & Spring Arriving

Moments before spontaneously combusting Fred Hall at
was heard opining:

On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 21:42:33 -0600, "Koi-Lo"
wrote:

"Galen Hekhuis" wrote in message
Lo and behold some of the day lilies and cannas sprouted
underwater, and are still surviving today even though the water has
receded. (I mostly planted day lilies, cannas, iris, elephant ears
and stuff. I'd planted some last year and the deer didn't eat them
and they seemed to thrive even with my neglect.)

====================
I've not had luck trying to grow daylilies in wet soil. They seem
to like damp soil with good drainage.

Same here in Zone 8. Our soil is brick-hard, red clay. Fortunately,
day lillies, at least here, will grow and bloom when laid directly on
top of the ground. Usually though, I throw a bit of compost on top of
them.

=================
Brick-hard reddish brown clay is what we have as well. I've dug in tons of
compost we make ourselves with the help of a chipper-shredder. For the
flowerbeds I also added loads of "bought" cow manure, sulfur, Ironite, sand,
bone meal, blood meal and general fertilizers. The soil here is poor
droughty gladevill soil. When dry it's like concrete, when wet it's like
mustard.

We had to totally redo the berm with rebar and cement around our 2000g pond
because the sides were collapsing and sinking. Now it looks like the 800g
one is next.
--
Koi-Lo.... frugal ponding since 1995...
Aquariums since 1952