Old 12-03-2006, 12:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Default Alnus rubra

On 12/3/06 10:29, in article , "Emery
Davis" wrote:

Hi Sacha,

On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 08:13:47 +0000
Sacha wrote:

Following Janet's recommendation of this tree, I'm very pleased to say that
I have found one at the Duchy nursery in Cornwall, which also supplied us
with some Populus balsamifera. Very satisfactory result! And I *think* I've
found a source of Acer Coonara Pygmy - fingers crossed!

Meant to reply to the earlier thread. There's a pretty variation
on A. rubra: A. rubra f. pinnatisecta. Just slightly smaller, and
the leaves quite deeply incised with pointed lobes. Very pretty
effect. Might be nice to mix one in a copse.

Thank you. I'll mention that one to Ray. We've found a place for the Alnus
rubra that is not where we had intended but will mean that it's more easily
seen from the house.

Would it be indiscreet to ask what your source for Coonara
Pygmy is? As you can probably guess I'm forever trying to
find good sources for Acers.

No problem - the reason I didn't type it in before is that I was upstairs
and the piece of paper was downstairs!
I have found the following: THE BODWEN NURSERY
Pothole St Austell Cornwall PL26 7DW
E-mail:
Tel: 01726 883855 Fax: 0870 130 6028
and the Duchy gave us:
Mallet Court Nursery, Taunton, Somerset 01823 481493
and
PMA Plant Specialities, Taunton, Somerset. 01823 480774
I haven't tried any of them except Mallet Court who haven't replied.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk