Old 12-03-2006, 01:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Default Alnus rubra

On 12/3/06 11:19, in article ,
"Dave Poole" wrote:

Brian wrote:

This inoculant is only really necessary in boggy conditions. Normal
seed compost suffices otherwise for germination and growth. The symbiotic
fungus [miccorhiza] would help in difficult situations.

I wasn't paying attention - yes, the addition of mycorrhizal fungi is
only advantageous where soil nutrients are low and in any case, it
does not significantly improve seed germination.

Rinse and soak the seed overnight, let it drain thoroughly then mix
with moist, crushed grit, sand, perlite or any fine, inert ballast.
Seal in a container/plastic bag, place in the bottom of a fridge (max
temp should be no more than 4 - 5C ) for 4 - 6 weeks. Sow in a
prepared bed, covering the seed mixture very lightly. Make sure the
bed remains moist at all times and germination usually follows within
14 - 28 days.

Many thanks to you all - talk about learning something every day! I'll try
to remember to get some seed and give it a try. What is interesting to me
(because I know so little about these trees) is that while they appear to be
the same variety, some have very much longer catkins than others - it really
is a marked difference. Any idea why that would be?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk