Old 12-03-2006, 02:49 PM posted to rec.gardens
DigitalVinyl

Default a better grape tomato?

"Warren" wrote:

DigitalVinyl wrote:
I grew a sweet 100 the other year and found the vast amount of waste
discouraging. Lots of popped fruit, rotting on the vine, tomatoes
dropping from the plant as ai harvest, a black sea of squirming ants
under the plant. It reseeded like crazy.

Anybody have a grape-sized tomato plant that has a more useful yield?

Juliet.

I grew them for the last two years. I had to surround a large tomato cage
with three other cages to hold all the branches, and a single plant provided
me with around a dozen grape-sized tomatoes starting in early August, and
continuing on to early October. Nice, sweet flavor, too. I'm very impressed
with it.

I should mention that as the season went on, I did get more cracking fruit,
but even tossing out the cracked fruit, my yield was high. And part of the
reason for the cracking fruit was I just wasn't harvesting fast enough.

I have to say, my yield was tremendous as was the plant. It grew to a
six foot high two foot diameter bush with arms continuing to grow and
flopping down another four feet over the top of the cage. It was the
waste--which I would estimate probably reached 50% that I hated. That
any the moldy, slushy rotten ones sitting on the vine propped right
against good ones. And when you see a big patch of black ground then
notice its moving and then realize it is a million swarming
ants--kinda gross.

Thanks
DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
4th year gardener