Old 12-03-2006, 03:00 PM posted to rec.gardens
DigitalVinyl

Default a better grape tomato?

Persephone wrote:

On Fri, 10 Mar 2006 23:27:51 GMT, DigitalVinyl
wrote:

I grew a sweet 100 the other year and found the vast amount of waste
discouraging. Lots of popped fruit, rotting on the vine, tomatoes
dropping from the plant as ai harvest, a black sea of squirming ants
under the plant. It reseeded like crazy.

Anybody have a grape-sized tomato plant that has a more useful yield?

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
3rd year gardener
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/royalf...=/2055&.src=ph

Interesting terminology. Would the Eastern "grape" tomato be the
same as the California "cherry" tomato?

Persephone

They usually call them grape tomatoes in the grocery store. They are
smaller than most cherries.

Cherry tomatoes typically start with the size of a large cherry or
larger, about 1 to 1.5 inches round. As you get to the 2 inch rounds
they usally start calling them slicing tomatoes(unless elongated, then
plum). Grape tomatoes are smaller. Typically they are about 1/2 inch
round, sometimes slightly elongated, but not really longer than .75
inch. They are your average sized grape.

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
4th year gardener
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/royalf...=/2055&.src=ph