Old 12-03-2006, 06:10 PM posted to rec.gardens
Warren

Default a better grape tomato?

DigitalVinyl wrote:

Interesting terminology. Would the Eastern "grape" tomato be the
same as the California "cherry" tomato?

They usually call them grape tomatoes in the grocery store. They are
smaller than most cherries.

Cherry tomatoes typically start with the size of a large cherry or
larger, about 1 to 1.5 inches round. As you get to the 2 inch rounds
they usally start calling them slicing tomatoes(unless elongated, then
plum). Grape tomatoes are smaller. Typically they are about 1/2 inch
round, sometimes slightly elongated, but not really longer than .75
inch. They are your average sized grape.

Cherry tomatoes are small and round like a cherry. Grape tomatoes are small
and elongated like a grape. Grape tomatoes can be larger or smaller than
cherry tomatoes. In fact, most grape tomatoes I've seen are larger than the
typical cherry tomato.

So the primary difference between grape and cherry is the shape.

--
Warren H.

to go outside now.

Power Lawncare Tools for Spring Clean-up:
http://www.holzemville.com/mall/blackanddecker/