Old 12-03-2006, 07:33 PM posted to rec.gardens
Phisherman

Default Should I be watering now?

I'm in Zone 7, East Tennessee. I water plants during the winter
months if they need it. Especially, trees/plants that are not fully
established. If the soil is damp, don't water. I removed the
protective mulch layer from my roses 2 days ago--the mulch protects
the plants during the winter, plus keeps the roots moist. Colder
temperatures usually mean less water is needed for most plants. I
have never watered my azaleas and they bloom/grow just fine.

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 18:53:27 GMT, "Natty Dread"
wrote:

Hi - I'm in Richmond, VA. It's been warmer than normal lately for this time
of the year --today it's sunny and in the low 80s -- so I'm wondering if I
should be watering my outside plants (mostly liriope, azaleas, nandinas,
butterly bush and crepe myrtles). We may still get snaps of cold weather,
and I know a lot of plants go dormant in the winter so I don't want to kill
anything off by prematurely watering. I think it's supposed to be in the
30s on Monday night. Any opinions on this? TIA.

Rhonda
Richmond, VA
USDA Zone 7

Basic human psychology is one of my subroutines.