Old 12-03-2006, 03:05 PM posted to rec.ponds
NetMax

Default Water runoff

"Tom Puskar" wrote in message
I'm thinking of doing some renovations to our home. One possibility is
to direct the rain runoff from the asphalt shingle roof into my 650 gal
pond. My question is will the water that runs off the roof (including
what it gathers through the gutters

A. Hurt my pond & fish

B. Help my pond & fish

C. Have no affect on my pond & fish

D. Some other choice?

I'm concerned about the small pieces of asphalt or whatever it is that
often comes off the roof as it may affect my pumps and filters.

Any comment?

There are a number of variables affecting the outcome, such as the size
of your pond, water hardness, typical rainfall quantities and intervals
etc. However, even with all the relevant data, I'm not qualified to give
specific advice, but here are some considerations.

Water coming off a dark asphalt roof can be quite hot when it starts
(problem for small ponds). Also if the pond is small, then you will be
filling it at the same time rainfall is filling it (may overflow). Also
your proximity to industrial operations will give you a sense of what has
settled on your roof (which would be washed down into it).

As a general comment (the only thing I'm qualified to do), your water
collection system should be designed to capture the first several minutes
of rainfall (hot, dirty water with organic and inorganic debris) and
discard it, and your pond should have an appropriate overflow (if
needed). hth
--
www.NetMax.tk

Thanks,