Old 12-03-2006, 03:18 PM posted to rec.ponds
G Pearce

Default Water runoff

I agree with Roy about the unwanted "extras" - one solution to that is to
connect your eavetroughs to a plastic 45 gal drum , or a series of them to
collect the rain and after it settles, top off your ponds from the water
collected. you will need a fine mesh screen or cheese cloth to keep out
mosquitos or it will become a breeding ground for them. Other than dirt and
sand from the roof, I don't think the water will contain anything else
harmful
Just my 2 cents worth - :~) Gale

Its prone to add lots of unwated materials like granual particles from
roofing etc in the pond which are relatively inert, but really shld
not be there. YOu get dust and all kind sof other fall out particulate
matter on a roof, and then having it get washed by rain into the pond
could make for problems with excessive nbutrients from pollens dust
etc......It can also inundate the pond with a heavy rainfall and
provide the fish with nothing but oxygen poor water since rainfall is
not overly rich with O2 to begin with, so it would change the
paramaters of your water much quicker in a short period of time than
if it just got what rain naturally fell into it. SOunds good to be
able to use that water for such, but probably not really a good idea.

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 09:11:06 -0500, "Tom Puskar"
wrote:
I'm thinking of doing some renovations to our home. One possibility is
direct the rain runoff from the asphalt shingle roof into my 650 gal
pond.
My question is will the water that runs off the roof (including what it
gathers through the gutters

A. Hurt my pond & fish

B. Help my pond & fish

C. Have no affect on my pond & fish

D. Some other choice?

I'm concerned about the small pieces of asphalt or whatever it is that
often
comes off the roof as it may affect my pumps and filters.

Any comment?

Thanks,

Tom in Howell, NJ

--
\\\|///
( @ @ )

oooO
\ ( ( )
\_) ) /
(_/
The original frugal ponder ! Koi-ahoi mates....