Old 12-03-2006, 04:44 PM posted to rec.ponds
Galen Hekhuis

Default Water runoff

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 09:11:06 -0500, "Tom Puskar"
wrote:

I'm thinking of doing some renovations to our home. One possibility is to
direct the rain runoff from the asphalt shingle roof into my 650 gal pond.
My question is will the water that runs off the roof (including what it
gathers through the gutters

A. Hurt my pond & fish

B. Help my pond & fish

C. Have no affect on my pond & fish

D. Some other choice?

I'm concerned about the small pieces of asphalt or whatever it is that often
comes off the roof as it may affect my pumps and filters.

Any comment?

When my wife and I lived on Maui our *only* source of water was roof
runoff. We had a simple diverter system (consisting of a piece of rope, a
piece of gutter, a spring and a leaky bucket) that dumped the water from
the roof until a fair amount had already come down, then it closed,
allowing the water to go into the "cistern," a tank off an old tanker
truck. It kept any "roof debris" from getting into our water, and I think
it would probably work on any hot water issues you might get into from the
roof. You didn't have to remember to reset it or anything, it was fairly
simple, cheap and automatic. It never failed or even needed servicing
while I was there.

Galen Hekhuis NpD, JFR, GWA
Stings like a butterfly, floats like a bee