Old 12-03-2006, 05:12 PM posted to rec.ponds
Richard Sexton

Default Plants for the neo-arctic, was ( OT Pet Joke)

In article ,
NetMax wrote:
It's all here - http://www2.dicom.se/fuchsias/usdazones.html
-- Mister Gardener

I'm a 5a until I walk about 100ft up my backyard into 4b country ;~).
There should be special awards of merit for perseverance (or masochism
;~) for ponders in Canada. Power failure + sub-zero weather, and you can
hear the ponders outside overnight, chipping the ice, drinking hot
chocolate, cursing up a storm.

Personally, I think someone needs to invent an inexpensive anti-freeze
(food grade glycol) which fish can breath, to fill our ponds over the
winter. Then we would have the coolest Canadian ponds.

My brother lives in Sask. and sent me a "Prairie hardy" plant
catalog from some place in Manitoba. I'm in 5a/4b too and this catalog
considers that "balmy"; they have all sort of things bred for these
cold climes, roses and other perennials that you don't nrmally
associate with igloos, snowshoes and polar bears.

But, the ones that caught my attention were the orange and cherry trees.
There is some kind of Chinese orange tree that thrives in our special
kind of winter wonderland. And grapes, and kiwis and all sort of thigns
you could plant to really confuse your neighbors.

An orange tree. Yeah, that's what I need. Gotta start me an arctic orange grove.

--
My only working email address is on my home page
1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home page: http://rs79.vrx.net