Old 12-03-2006, 03:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

Default Rainwater Diverters For Cast Iron Downpipes

The message
from June Hughes contains these words:
In message , Crazy Dog
writes
I'm looking for a rainwater diverter for a 2-1/2" OD cast iron
downpipe. All
I've found, so far, state either "suitable for PVC" or "not suitable for
cast iron."

Replacing the old downpipe would be a last resort.

Does anyone know of a supplier of a suitable diverter?

ISTR Rusty having an intriguing home-made system a couple of years ago?

But with plastic pipes.

Using my methods on iron pipes would require serious outlay on special
drill-bits, as cast-iron blunts even HSS very quickly.

I did have some stellite-tipped drill-bits which were quite good, but
you needed a bench-drill with a hefty press, as the idea of the stellite
tips was to soften the iron by friction, thus heating it close to its
melting-point, when it would begin to go through it like I go through
cheese.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig