Old 12-03-2006, 06:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Joan Riley

Default frog spawn

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 10:16:10 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

On 12/3/06 7:53, in article , "Brian Watson"
wrote:

"ned" wrote in message

"shazzbat" wrote in message

(snip)

I wonder if the OP is in the UK, as March is VERY early for frogs to spawn,
especially in the weather we've had for the last week?

rec.ponds would probably get a fuller response, especially as it is not a
country-specific ng.

Our toads are certainly mating so we should see spawn in a few days. Last
night was rainy again, so I went out with a torch and counted about a dozen
toads on their way to the pond and some already there, croaking
triumphantly.

Can anyone tell me what we might have by our stream? We have a stone
dyke wall about 20ft from the back door with a little stream on the
other side which has boggy pools alongside it in this spot. The last
few nights we heard this funny noise which sounded like a motorbike in
the distance, or a cat purring. The frogs we had at our last house
made a sort of intermittent burping/croak noise but this is more or
less a continuous "r r r r r r". I had a look with a torch when I
first heard it but as I can't climb the wall I was some distance away
and couldn't see anything. The pools aren't much more than puddles
but I can't see any spawn in there from this side of the wall.

Joan in Ayrshire
remove 'spam' from email to reply