Old 12-03-2006, 05:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Okra

Dwayne writes
He has the seeds and the plants, maybe he will be lucky enough to get them
to produce. They can get tall so I would put them on a protected sunny side
of the yard.

In the UK, okra are much like aubergines and sweet peppers - ie you have
very little chance outside and not guaranteed success indoors.

I enjoy growing things here that aren't supposed to be grown here. I moved
here from Arkansas, and have been growing sweet potatoes. They are supposed
to be grown in the south, not here. I have gotten some every year so far.
They aren't as big or as many as when I lived in Arkansas, but they are just
as good. I have raised pumpkins and winter squash that come from Australia.
Everyone I've given them to seems to have enjoyed them.
Gardening could be boring if you couldn't try something new once in a while.

You need *some* chance of success. There's not a lot of variety in
*everything* you trying dying.
--
Kay