Old 12-03-2006, 06:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Pests and Beneficial Bugs

halibut-t writes

Hi all,

Would anyone be able to recommend books or any online documentation
that shows preferably in photographic form, vegetable and fruit pests
of the UK and also the same for beneficial bugs that should be
encouraged into the garden. I have several books that describe what’s
good and what’s bad but they are all without photos.

At the moment all things with or without legs are fair game for the
bird table. :-D

Until you find a book try this rule-of-thumb: if it moves slowly it's a
herbivore after your plants, if it moves quickly, it's a carnivore,
predating the herbivores.

But I suppose in your case - if it can escape from the birdtable fast
enough to avoid being eaten, it's a goodie ;-)
--
Kay