Old 12-03-2006, 06:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Default **HOW'S SCOTLAND DOING?**

On 12/3/06 17:46, in article ,
"Dave Poole" wrote:

Sacha wrote:

David just took a proper measurement.
We have 7.5 inches of snow

Other than in ski resorts and drifts in lanes, I don't think I've even
*seen* 7.5 inches of snow!

Oh I have !!! :-(

snip

It was the worst winter since 1963 when 4/5 days of near constant
snowfall gave 3 foot in depth with drifts to 15 feet in places. We
lived in Dudley on the side of a hill in a cul-de-sac and it took the
residents several days to dig the road clear. Watching cars trying to
climb up the hill was a wonderful pastime and school was cancelled for
a couple of weeks.

snip

How could I forget that winter - my only excuse is that I must have blotted
it from memory. I was at school in West Malvern and it was a bitterly cold
and dreadful time. I remember now that there were fears that grocery etc.
vans wouldn't get up the steep approaches to W. Malvern and that we hearty,
hockey-playing, walk before breakfast girls wouldn't get fed! I recall
taking my clothes for the next morning into bed with me so they, at least,
would be warm when I got dressed. It may be the only time in my life that I
was glad my mother insisted I had the full school uniform list - dreaded
and awful vests and all. ;-) In fact, the before breakfast walk was
abandoned that year and never again took place in the winter terms, thank
heaven.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk