Old 12-03-2006, 06:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Default **HOW'S SCOTLAND DOING?**

On 12/3/06 18:03, in article , "K"
wrote:

Sacha writes
On 12/3/06 14:37, in article
, "Ophelia"
wrote:

David just took a proper measurement.

We have 7.5 inches of snow

Other than in ski resorts and drifts in lanes, I don't think I've even
*seen* 7.5 inches of snow!

Not even in your youth? I can remember walking up to the higher parts of
town with the snow well above my knees, and that was when I was in my
teens.

Yes, David's reminded me of that, as you'll see in my reply. I really had
wiped it from the memory banks! When we couldn't play games - which we did
every single afternoon other than Saturdays (watching or playing in matches)
and Sundays - the normal form of exercise was to make us take a walk up the
hills to or towards, the Beacon. From what I recall of that winter, none of
us went anywhere. We couldn't play hockey or lacrosse, we couldn't walk up
the Malvern hills, we couldn't do *anything* and went nearly stir crazy. It
does make me think that today's young (creak, groan of ancient granny speak)
would find it a blissful excuse to sit in front of the telly or play some
whizzy game. We didn't see tv at all during term unless it was something
suitably educational and relevant to what we were studying in e.g. English
or History. Being a voracious reader then and now, I found it a wonderful
time to bury myself in a book and get as close to the faint heat the ancient
radiators pumped out as I could.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk