Old 12-03-2006, 06:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Joan Riley

Default Early Leeks

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 12:34:34 +0000, davidmaynard1
wrote:

Hi

I have the seeds for the Lyon2 Prizetaker which is an early strain
variety.

I was reading the Vegetable Expert by Dr. Hessayon, that Leeks like
full sun. Now where I want to grow my Leeks only gets sun for the
afternoon; about 2pm onwards; is it Ok to grow then there?

I know brassicas don't mind being partly shaded. I also know that root
crops need full sun. Correct me if I’m wrong!

One other questions relating to brassicas, my Cauliflowers (Walcheren
Winter, Armado April) are about the heart, how do I bend the leaves
over the developing curd?

Many thanks

Dave

I had the opposite problem - my leeks only got sunshine for a couple
of hours in the middle of the day but if yours get sunshine from 2pm
that's at least twice as much as mine got. I can't remember what
variety I grew but they didn't do very well and I gave up in the end.
If you have no other option about where to grow them I'd give them a
go, though.

AFAIK you have to break the cauliflower leaves to get them to go over
the curd.

Joan in Ayrshire
remove 'spam' from email to reply