Old 12-03-2006, 09:56 PM posted to rec.gardens
Jim Voege

Default bare lawn areas on a steep slope

"Phisherman" wrote in message
There is an area on a steep slope where I need grass to grow. I
planted seed two years ago and it is now established but there is a
very steep area (too steep to operate a lawn mower easily) about 60 x
5 feet that needs seeding. How should this be re-seeded without rain
washing it down the hill? I don't have a choice of another ground
cover, and I need to use the same seed as the rest of the lawn. Do
those seeding mats work well to control washing out?

Try aerating extensively, then watering, then seeding. The holes from
aerating should give you a place where the seeds can avoid being washed
away. So they clump. Give extra water (a real must on a slope) so the
clumps are induced to spread.

Jim