Old 12-03-2006, 08:22 PM posted to sci.chem,sci.bio.botany
Michael Hearne

Default element or compound in tree bark that it burns with too muchash

donald haarmann wrote:
"Dan"

| We know this because ash used to be the main source of nitrates for the
| production of gunpowder way back when (and may still be, but I doubt
| it). Ash is not a known mixture, it just means what's left after
| burning.

Sorry. Wood ash was never the source of nitrate, it was, however, the source of
potash (potassium carbonate) mixed with the cave (for instance) nitrate (calcium),
to convert it into usable potassium nitrate, calcium nitrate being hygroscopic.

Cave nitrate?

Does that mean that bat guano is a usable source for the nitrate needed
to make black powder? Or are you referring to stalactites/stalagmites?
(The mites go up and the tights come down).

Michael