Old 12-03-2006, 10:21 PM posted to sci.bio.botany
Michael Hearne

Default Lead for Website

Phred wrote:
In article , "P van Rijckevorsel" wrote:

An example:
http://dogbert.abebooks.com/servlet/...archurl=y%3D0%
26kn%3Durban%2Btimber%26bsi%3D90%26x%3D0

Compared to the price at amazon.com (US $16.35) this is 6.5 × as much as
new. Compared to the list price it is still almost 4.5 × as much as new.
PvR

FWIW, that page defines the condition as "New". Not that that
detracts from your argument -- the price still seems to be outrageous
(always assuming there's not a typo somewhere there).

Cheers, Phred.

The so-called bargain sellers usually make their money in shipping. IOW,
they sell you a product for pennies, and then charge large amounts for
shipping. Then they ship for pennies, and that is their profit and your
loss.

Then there are companies like "Buy-dot-com" who will ship for free if
you surpass a limit (like $20 or so), but they tend to split the orders,
so you may end up getting packages all week. This is because they front
for many companies.

That's ok if you're not working on a vital project, I suppose, but
personally, I can't take time off to remain at a single location to
receive packages, so it is still a loss to me. Plus, if I need a part, I
need it now, and I really don't want to hear the stupid advertisment.

Use FedEx if possible. It's worth the extra $7.00 or so that 2-day
shipping will cost you, rather than having to track and wait and wonder.

Michael

--
When I win the lottery, I'm going to spend half on land,
And the other half planting about a quadrillion trees...