Old 12-03-2006, 08:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default frog spawn

Brian Watson writes

"K" wrote in message
Brian Watson writes

I wonder if the OP is in the UK, as March is VERY early for frogs to
spawn,
especially in the weather we've had for the last week?

Sorry - confused. Are you saying that march is early for spawn in the UK
or normal for UK and early for spawn elsewhere?

I posted what I did because the amphibians in my garden in Cambridgeshire
don't start the springtime shenanigans until it's a lot warmer - it was May
last year.

That's late!!!!

However, it appears they are "at it" already in many parts of the UK,
despite fairly consistently sub-zero nights recently.

If you look at the 'springwatch' site (google it), you'll see that the
first observations of frogspawn in the 2006 season were in Dec 2005; by
the end of Jan there was a large number of observations in the SW and
scattered observations as far north as the Scottish border; by the end
of Feb, dense distribution of observations all around the coast and a
fair scattering inland, and as of today, pretty dense observations over
most of populated areas of UK
--
Kay