Old 12-03-2006, 08:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

Default Does anyone know the best way to remove green algae from my decking?????

In article ,
JennyC wrote:
"saralove999" wrote in message

My name is Sara and I live in London. Im new to this forum and new to
gardening, ive just got a place with a garden, which is mostly decking
- it is covered with nasty green stuff (I think its algae) which is
very tenacious and resists my attemps to kill it off. Ive tried a
scrubbing brush (very labour intensive, took my half a day and sore
knees!)and decking cleaner (only removed a little bit). I think I
might need some sort of high power water jet but I dont know if that
will destroy the decking. Please help!

Powerwasher or elbow grease :~)
A washer will be OK unless the wood is rotten
Only scrub after prolong rainfall. This softens the algae

Alternatively, soak the decking a couple of times a few hours apart
before starting. I don't go in for decking, but paving algae is best
removed with a bit of washing-up liquid in the water and a handful
of sharp sand under a stiff brush.

By the way, there are some strange postings on here, I expected it to
be all about keeping caterpillers off your cauliflowers and there seems
to be a strange thread about the battle of the
classes/sexes/post-menopausal stalkers which I was fascinated to read!

This flares up from time to time. Take no notice, it will blow over :~)

Yes, indeed. You will also see an interesting range of comments
on all sorts of topic, more of which are reliable than appear at
first sight. Ah. London. That's the place that I said would be
much improved by a few woolly mammoths and the odd rhinocerous.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.