Old 12-03-2006, 09:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
June Hughes

Default Rainwater Diverters For Cast Iron Downpipes

In message , Nick Maclaren
writes
In article ,
Rusty Hinge 2 wrote:

Using my methods on iron pipes would require serious outlay on special
drill-bits, as cast-iron blunts even HSS very quickly.

I did have some stellite-tipped drill-bits which were quite good, but
you needed a bench-drill with a hefty press, as the idea of the stellite
tips was to soften the iron by friction, thus heating it close to its
melting-point, when it would begin to go through it like I go through
cheese.

And do not be tempted to use a hammer drill to speed things up,
on the grounds of preserving both your dental fillings and the pipe.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

That sounds too much like Marathon Man for my liking.
--
June Hughes