Old 12-03-2006, 10:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

Default Okra

"Janet Baraclough" wrote after

"James Fidell" asked
Anyone have tips on growing okra?

and "Dwayne" replied..
Give them lots of sun and water when it is dry. They survive with a
lot
less water than most.

. Your Kansas summers are considerably hotter and sunnier than the UK
:-) I'm not sure okra is a reliable outdoor garden crop all over the
UK. Maybe in the southern counties.

We tried some outside a few years ago on the allotment, it was a good summer
for the UK and I live just S. of the Thames, but they did nothing, sulked
all summer, refused to grow as they should (seen fields of them abroad), and
we got only two rubbish fruit off the lot.
We have and do grown aubergines*, peppers*, chillies, and toms outside
successfully. (* in good years)
Might be better under Glass/Polytunnel but somehow I doubt it.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden