Old 13-03-2006, 06:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Default Alnus rubra

On 12/3/06 17:21, in article , "Emery
Davis" wrote:

(about Acers)

snip
Not sure what to think about the naming of 'Autumn Glory',
it doesn't seem to correspond to the description in either
de Jong or Vertrees. The latter says:

"This cultivar name was applied to a few selected seedlings which
were notable for their beautiful fall coloration patterns -- mostly
crimson. These maples were selected and introduced by R. de Belder
of the Arboretum Kalmthout, Belgium, about 1958 and commercially
distributed out of the Netherlands. The fall coloring has proven
inconsistent in different places, raising the question whether this
form deserves cultivar status. The leaves are broad with 5 or 7 lobes
divided up to halfway to the leaf base. These upright small trees
of 4 - 6 m for a broad canopy."

Perhaps they took grafting material from a mature grafted
specimen. All very confusing, as usual.

Anyway thanks for the great source.

You're most welcome. I'm quite tempted to get one of the Acer 'Autumn Glory'
and see how it does turn out. I'll let you know if I succumb. ;-)
In the meantime, Ray has planted the Acer Glade, as he calls it, placing
several around the ex-duck pond and putting some ferns we bought at
Abbotsbury, in the front. I think and hope it's going to be very pretty and
a real asset to the garden.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk