Old 13-03-2006, 10:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Des Higgins

Default Name of wild fern?

"Sacha" wrote in message
id...
On 13/3/06 0:13, in article , "K"
wrote:

Sacha writes
I'm interested to try one or two in the tree stumps, as I said but they
might not like that.

You could try the ones that particularly like trees, polypody for
example - fairly simple fronded, fronds about 8 inches, not like the
maidenhair fern that you have (it's a tough looking thing) but different
from the usual male ferns and so on.

Thanks, Kay, that's very helpful. I'm absolutely hopeless at the proper
names of ferns because, for some reason, I've never had much to do with
them
or planting them. I'll check out polypodys and see if we have any here.
If
not, I'll try to get some.

there are 2 or 3 native ones (Polypodium) and I have seen some exotic ones
in botanic gardens.
The native ones grow along branches and up tree trunks in teh west of
Ireland where it is wet enough.
They even grow on shaded stone walls, as long as there is enough moss etc.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk