Old 13-03-2006, 11:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

Default Chestnut Regal advice

The message
from "Mike Lyle" contains these words:

Rusty Hinge 2 wrote:
The message
from "Mike Lyle" contains these
words:

You'll be lucky if
you get any worthwhile nuts in cooler parts of these islands.

If it's a sweet chestnut, you should have no trouble getting
worthwhile crops of nuts, though the individual nuts may be a bit
smaller than you anticipate.

There are plenty of fine chestnut trees and woods in East Anglia, and
while recent winters have been nothing like seriously cold,
historically, it was always one of the coldest areas in winter.

Ah, so it's a matter of summer conditions, then?

I'd think so - and as (I expect) they're wind-pollinated, cold springs
should have no fears for them. From around 25 years ago I've collected
bags of chestnuts in woods near Norwich, and in the '40s and '50s, when
all sorts of food was in short supply, we used to collect sacks of the
things in Warley Woods in Essex.

In the autumn of 1948 (which followed the notorious winter of that time)
it was a glut year - I remember which year it was because one of my
friends came in his new school uniform, and he went to Felsted the year
before I went to Brentwood. We were disappointed because our respective
parents said we'd got enough - even though there were (literally) tons
more on the ground.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig