Old 13-03-2006, 12:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Default Does anyone know the best way to remove green algae from mydecking?????

On 13/3/06 12:20, in article , "Martin
Brown" wrote:

snip

And using much larger volumes of pure drinking water with brute force is
probably at least as environmentally damaging as using a wetting agent.

If you can live with the smell for a while, spraying the decking with a
dilute solution of Jeyes fluid (or a real algicide) will work. Decking
is not a great choice in the UK since it rains too much. My N facing
paving always gets coated in green algae during the winter months.

I haven't tried it myself but I think there's a danger that the grain of the
wood would get lifted by the power spray and if there's any caulking, that
could be damaged, too. I agree with you about decking in this country.
While it can look very attractive in the right place when it's new, it can
get that green and tired look all too quickly.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk