Old 13-03-2006, 01:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

Default How long should you keep seeds?

"sam" wrote in message
hi, how long should you keep seeds? I've just planted some tomato and
aubergine seeds from packets I got 2 years ago, don't know if they'll

grow,
should I buy new ones? TIA

It all depends on what conditions you keep them in.
Moisture content and warm temperatures are the two
factors which most affect seed viability.
If you store seeds in a tupperware box or similar, in
the fridge or freezer, straight after purchase, and certainly
after opening, this will reduce their moisture content and
effectively prolong their life for years. That's how most
seeds are stored in seed banks. Although under very carefuly
controlled conditions.

To test these particular samples, simply place a few
on some sheets of moist (warm water) kitchen towel and
keep in a warm place - covered so as to retain the moisture
and see if any roots emerge. Which they should in a few days.
A week at the outside. If you're feeling adventurous you could
then pot up the chitted seed root downwards into some small pots
of compost.

michael adams