Old 13-03-2006, 01:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JB

Default How long should you keep seeds?

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 12:49:41 -0000, "sam" wrote:

hi, how long should you keep seeds? I've just planted some tomato and
aubergine seeds from packets I got 2 years ago, don't know if they'll grow,
should I buy new ones? TIA

If the packets are well sealed they will generally last for years.

With old seeds there is no cut off point at which they become useless
the germination rates jut tail off. So this year all my toms and
peppers are being planted from what's left over from last years seed
packets. Last year I had nigh on 100% germination this year perhaps
70% both years I've ended up giving away plants.

In other words - plant them and see what happens but put a few more in
than you would normally sow.