Old 13-03-2006, 03:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Rob

Default Home made insecticidal soap for chemical sensitive folks

That sucks...

I've been trying a new thing that a friend brought over called...
'organocide'. Despite the scary name, the ingredients are %3 sesame
oil, 90+% fish oil, and lecithin. Doesn't smell nearly as bad as you
might think, and whatever odor there was went away after a day. Makes
leaves nice and shiny. Supposed to take care of scale and mealybugs,
spidermites, and aphid, and... who knows, the label makes some pretty
broad claims.

You could probably also use ultrafine (horticultural) grade oil, or
failing that (I don't think any VOCs, but I'm not sensitive) a light
cooking oil. All of those oil sprays work by smothering insects.

Rob

mmccaws2 wrote:
A funny thing happened on the way to putting an home addition and
looking into increasing the size of my humble greenhouse. I became
super sensitive to everything that has most man-made VOCs. Paints,
perfumes, insecticidal soap, and unbelievable number of things I can't
be exposed to for more than a few minutes, if that.

So now mealy bugs are terrorizing my plants, but I can't use standard
neem oil or insecticidal soap. Any suggestions before I loose my
entire stock?

I did see cooking oil and dishwashing oil. I can tolerate Dr Bonner's
castille soap, might that be a substitute for dishwashing soap. Are
there any unscented dishwashing soaps? My plants and I would welcome
any suggestions.

--
Rob's Rules: http://littlefrogfarm.com
2a) See rule 1