Old 12-03-2003, 03:20 PM
Pam

Default Hardy cyclamen?

Ted Byers wrote:

1) How do I tell if the cyclamen I see at a garden centre is
C.hederofolium? Although I live in zone 5, temperatures of minus 25 F
were much more common than temperatures around 0 F this year, so I
assume from what you wrote that C. hederofolium is my only option
outside. I gather, from your website, that it will thrive in shade,
but is that a requirement? Would it do OK, for example, planted in
the mottled shade it'd get placed among irises and lilies? And what
lind of soil? Sand? Clay? Somethng in between?

2) I am not sure I'd give up on C. persicum just yet. After all, they
are quite pretty. What is the trick to getting them to thrive?

1. First, they should be properly labeled as to their species!! (See rant thread
on nursery labels) C. hederifolium are called that because their foliage
resembles that of ivy (Hedera) - typically triangular to heart-shaped and
heavily mottled, although very variable in form and coloring. They bloom in the
fall. What is most likely on sale in nurseries now is C coum, the late
winter/early spring blooming species.

2. A cool situation and birght, but indirect light. Keep them evenly moist and,
like African violets, they prefer to take up their moisture from the roots, so
set pots in a shallow dish of water to irrigate, rather than watering at the
crown (causes rot and fungal problems). These florist cyclamen are really much
hardier than many people think. In mild winter areas, they are perfectly viable
out of doors in a protected area. I use them regularly to grace winter container
plantings by my front door. They last from November to their just recent
replacement with primulas.

pam - gardengal