Old 14-03-2006, 03:26 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Steve

Default Different colored blooms on Cattleya

Here's my guess. Maybe you can tell me I'm not right but.... I bet that
by the end of the week, all the flowers will have white petals and the
chartreuse will be gone. Is there any chance that the first flowers
passed through the chartreuse stage before you noticed them?

Steve

Nancy G. wrote:
I thought I had two plants in bloom, but when I removed the plant from
the bench, found out that the blooms were on the same plant. One bloom
sheath opened with white petals and an intense fuchsia lip, the other
bloom opened with chartreuse petals and fuchsia lip. It surprised me
because the blooms opened about 5 days apart in the order I described.

There was a marked differencein the color of the blooms, even though
the markings were the same. The orchid is a cattleya hybrid (BLC),
from seeds, not a meristem. I forgot to write down the name of the
cross at the time, will record the name when I photograph the
chartreuse bloom, I photographed the white before giving it to my son.

Does this happen very often, and what can cause this? Should I be
concerned that the colors were that different in the same blooming
season?

Nancy