Old 14-03-2006, 12:09 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Jonny

Default Improving a clay based lawn - help

"rushdenwolves" wrote in message

Hi

Cananyone suggest what i should be doign to my lawn in march?

it is a clay based lawn that gets very hard in summer and therfore
restricts colour and growth

I wouldliek toimprve the soild aeration and structure so have been out
forking it, but ned to knwo what to do next.

Add sand ? if so what sort?

I am told i should add gypsum as this will be absorbed easily and
imprve soil profile ? - greta - but what is it and where can i get it
in the uk?

all help gratfully received

Russell Jones

--
rushdenwolves

The biggest problem with clay is that it does not hold water very long.
This is good for areas that require quick drainage, little or no fauna.
For good coverage of grasses, and moisture retention, you need a good
topsoil at least 3 inches thick.
You can get around doing a soil replacement by gradually building up your
lawn annually with topsoil in early spring over 2 or 3 years by adding
topsoil over your current lawn.
--
Jonny