Old 12-03-2003, 04:08 PM
Sue & Bob Hobden

Default new to veggies

"shannie" wrote in message
Wonderful advise there Janet, thank you. May I ask you one more
thing?...I've been planning this for a long while now and bought a compost
bin earlier this year, one of the big black plastic one's with a chute at
the front and a lid on top. I've been putting in household veg waste,

waste
from the rabbit hutch and straw and chicken droppings from the hen house
etc. It doesn't seem to be diminishing any way fast though and is now

almost
full. Should I get another one and start that? How will I know when it's
ready to use? All the stuff in it looks pretty much as it did when it went
in, a little withered but definately not rotten.

We found that those plastic bins can dry out easily and then nothing happens
(except an ants nest!), so we make sure there is enough moisture in the
bins. When tipping the green waste bucket into the composter I always wash
it out and pour that into the bin too. I feel you can't overwater it. No
matter how much waste I put in it it's never more than two thirds full after
a few days.

--
Bob

Runnymede fighting for it's existence.