Old 12-03-2003, 04:20 PM
Trish K.

Default Hardy cyclamen?

2) I am not sure I'd give up on C. persicum just yet. After all, they
are quite pretty. What is the trick to getting them to thrive?

Cheers,

Ted

Cyclamen is one of the most curious flowers I've ever 'met'. C.
persicum is a real survivor/rebounder, but I've never given it much
attention, and abandoned one in somewhat uncertain care to see it
flower in spite. This plant is three years old, the tuber is
completely exposed, and it's not been repotted, has suffered mealy
bugs, aphids, and unnatural weekend dryness and heat. As a plant it's
just awesome, for all that, as C. persicum, this plant is laughably
not at it's best, but flowers right now and I love it.

Not having grown one perfectly I'm unsure how much light is too much.
Yet C. persicum needs cool temps, (i've heard repeated) and anything
above 65f. is uncomfortable.

C.hederifolium seems untouched by this awful winter, and is happily
lush among cedar needles. Just planted it in late August, but it
didn't bloom. One tuber failed..

TK