Old 14-03-2006, 04:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Default Is there ANYTHING....

On 14/3/06 2:15 pm, in article
, "La Puce"
wrote:

Holly, in France wrote:
Mmm. Yes, a few small weeping salix might be OK there and would probably
grow and fill out quickly enough for me to keep on top of the
undergrowth in the short term. But I don't think there are any short
enough. If they were too tall they would block the view of the lake, a
peninsula with nice shrubs and the flood plain across the river. Planted
half way up though, possibly, I'll think about that one.

(I thought I had responded back to you ... my jalousie for your
house/garden/life has made me dizzy ;o)

Mulch. There. Mulch and mulch after putting whatever new you need to
put there. The salix could then be coppiced ... and you could offer
basket making workshops to your customers. A new business )

The river floods half way up in winter. The mulch will be washed away,
possibly along with half the bank and the new trees, as Michael and Janet
have properly pointed out. Somehow and if at all possible, Holly needs to
do something to preserve the structural integrity of the bank before she
plants it and before she gets rid of what's holding it together - the
network of bramble and nettle roots. Failure to do that could mean she ends
up with rather more of a water garden than she'd anticipated.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk