Old 14-03-2006, 07:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

Default Chestnut Regal advice

The message
from "Draven" contains these words:

Well I planted it yesterday and the rain will do it good.
According to the label I might get some chestnuts in two or three years.
I'll keep you all posted.

Good-oh.

They do begin cropping quite young. However, I hope you've left plenty
of room round it - it'll grow to more than forty feet, and I'd put some
of the old'uns in the woods round the south of Norwich nearer sixty.

In the late 'fifties or early 'sixties four Essex Scout districts bought
78 acres of mixed woodland near Brentwood. it was nearly all deciduous,
though one end had some mature Scots pines. The rest of it was what
looked like virgin woodland and areas of old coppicing, neglected since
before the war, and most of the stuff which had been coppiced was sweet
chestnut.

And in the autumn you could smell the nuts roasting on the fires.

Takes me back, innit.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig