Old 14-03-2006, 10:24 PM posted to rec.gardens
George Shirley

Default Bougainvillea - what fertilizer to use?

Apropos wrote:
How do you fertilize bougainvillea bushes? I notice that some new plants around
my house are nice and green but they're not full and blooming like others around
here. Is it just because they're young? What is the BEST fertilzer to use for
these?

In Orlando, FL in sandy soil.

The ones we grew when we lived in the Middle East (mostly sand) were
fertilized twice annually with 13-13-13 and hit at least three times a
year with Super Bloom, which encouraged multiple bloomings. This in an
area with about 20% humidity and about 75F average temps. Should be
somewhat similiar to Orlando IIRC. HTH

Incidentally, these "bushes" grew to about 30 feet tall, climbing the
side of a two and a half story house. Don't bank on them always being
bushes.

George