Old 15-03-2006, 01:13 AM posted to rec.gardens
Jan Flora

Default Corona Professional Bypass Pruner BP6190

In article ,
Phisherman wrote:

I bought a pair of Corona Professional Bypass Pruner (BP6190). They
are forged, heat-treated, cushioned grips, 1" cutting capacity, and a
shock absorbing bumper. Out of the box, I started trimming my sage
bush, removing all the dead branches. These pruners locked up. The
cutting edge curled over preventing the pruners to close. I sanded
the edge, and continued pruning. Same thing happens. My guess is
these have not been heat-treated. These are going to be returned to
Lowes and I'm getting my $25 back. Figures, these are made in Taiwan.
Any recommendations for good by-pass pruners? I think I prefer "Made
in USA," under $30 if possible. TIA

Buy Felcos. I bought my snips in 1982. They have very high mileage
on them, as I used to prune fruit orchards for a living, and did
commercial landscape maintanence contracts for awhile. (That's aside
from doing my own gardens.)

I sharpen and oil them once in awhile. Haven't needed to replace
the blades yet.

I'm surprised that you got a bad tool from Corona, as my loppers are
all Corona brand, and I love them!

Felco makes a by-pass snipper model now. My snips are Model 8, but
apparently I have big hands for a woman. (I've never wished for the
small-frame snips that they make for small hands now.)

It DOES sound like you got a pair of snips that didn't get heat-treated
properly. I'll bet Corona would fall all over themselves to make you
a happy customer, if you contact them. They don't need you here
on a worldwide ng, being an unhappy customer...

Jan, in Alaska

--
The way to a man's heart is between the fourth and the fifth rib.