Old 15-03-2006, 06:27 AM posted to rec.gardens
David Hare-Scott

Default Bougainvillea - what fertilizer to use?

"Apropos" wrote in message
How do you fertilize bougainvillea bushes? I notice that some new plants

around
my house are nice and green but they're not full and blooming like others

around
here. Is it just because they're young? What is the BEST fertilzer to

use for
these?

In Orlando, FL in sandy soil.

They like hot positions facing the sun. Once you give them that it's just a
matter of keeping the water and food up to them. They will flower when very
young so check the position first as you may be wasting time going for heavy
growth if they are not in full hot sun. I would use a balanced fertiliser
as too much nitrogen will give masses of leaf growth (which only needs to be
pruned).

David