Old 15-03-2006, 02:48 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
J Fortuna

Default neighbor brought over dendrobium

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
Bottom line: Dends need much less water than Phals, but a good deal more
light. Catt light is good. I find that our Dends are happy in near full
sun.

Well, in that case I am in trouble since I have only a limited amount of
light available, nowhere near catt light and definitely not full sun.

If a Dend won't be happy enough with just a bit more light than a Phal, I
wonder whether I shouldn't pass the Dend along further to someone who can
provide it the proper conditions. One option: as I was going for a walk with
Robert in our condo complex I saw a place where there were 4 healthy looking
dendrobiums on a patio -- the weather has been nice and warm here recently,
and that patio had much more sun than our extremely shaded one. I had the
naughty thought that it might be fun to take this dendrobium, and just leave
it on this person's patio, sort of like a cuckoo's egg. :-) Of course I
could also do the same thing as the neighbor who brought it over to me, and
wait for a weekend when the dendrobium patio people are in. Hmm, less fun,
but probably the more correct action.

Or I could try to keep the dendrobium, and see what happens with it, but I
definitely cannot provide it much more light -- at most medium light, but
not high light conditions.

Joanna