Old 15-03-2006, 04:48 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Koi-Lo

Default Lighting Struggles

Moments before spontaneously combusting Richard Sexton at
was heard opining:

In article ,
Koi-Lo wrote:
I'm planning my first planted tank (well, fully planted tank - I've
always had some plants in previous tanks) and I'm really struggling
to work out how to supply the lighting I need. I'm going for a 2ft
tank
and the only plant I'm absolutely hooked on growing is Riccia,
because
I adore that grass like look.

===========
Riccia isn't grasslike. It's more like a tangled ball of green
stuff. :-)

Well, while not a plant with grass-like leaves it does look very
lawnlike when planted i this way. Aquatic mosses are easier to get
and deal with though.

I wish I could find the real thing but no one here carries it.
Twice I ordered it online and twice I received lichen which dies
underwater. They sent it complete with tiny twigs and pine needles
still in it. Needless to say I don't order plants from the net
anymore.

Most online vendors are reputable. Lichen isn't Riccia by any
stretch. Twigs and pine needles means it was grown outdoors, not
uncommon in the US.

Trust me, what they sent wasn't riccia. It looked exactly like the Lichen
you buy for train boards to make scenery. It promptly died (both times)
and disintegrated when submerged. I know what riccia is because I grew it
for years. I lost it all when I moved up here back in 1992. The 5g tank of
it was left behind. By the time I remembered it and went back for it,
either the sun or the freezing temperatures had already killed it.

--
Koi-Lo.... frugal ponding since 1995...
Aquariums since 1952