Old 15-03-2006, 01:06 PM posted to rec.gardens
Oldtimer

Default bare lawn areas on a steep slope

Hi!, it is difficult to give any meaningful advice not knowing what
kind of grass you are talking about, and where you are located, but
here is an opinion, you might consider.

First the burlap or the seeding mats, will probably create problems
down the road(my opinion). I have noticed the highway department,
when seeding very steep inclines simply seeds and then puts thin layer
of straw over the area. They use a shredder to cut the straw into
small clippings and then blow it over the area.

Another method is called Plugging or Sprigging. In the spring you
can buy mats of grass(much like carpet) at your local garden center.
You can cut these into squares and set them out on the slope, much as
you would ground cover. Or you can create your own sprigs by starting
the grass elsewhere and after it is established, transplant it to the
slope.

Hope this helps- -The Oldtimer

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 13:52:07 GMT, Phisherman wrote:

There is an area on a steep slope where I need grass to grow. I
planted seed two years ago and it is now established but there is a
very steep area (too steep to operate a lawn mower easily) about 60 x
5 feet that needs seeding. How should this be re-seeded without rain
washing it down the hill? I don't have a choice of another ground
cover, and I need to use the same seed as the rest of the lawn. Do
those seeding mats work well to control washing out?