Old 15-03-2006, 02:38 PM posted to rec.gardens
Jim Elbrecht

Default a better grape tomato?

"Warren" wrote:

DigitalVinyl wrote:
That distinction makes sense, although I would think these are more
marketing terms than scientific (tomatus cherrianus).

Absolutely.

Never seen a
"grape" tomato offered as large as a typical cherry. Sweet 100's were
significantly smaller than average cherry tomato I've grown-but are
usually referred to in catalog as cherry, often with some adjective
adjustment mini-, small, tiny, grape-sized. Until now I've thought of
grape-sized as a multiple-in-the-mouth-at-once size where cherry is
one-at-a-time. YRMV!

The "grape" tomatoes at regular supermarkets around here are usually small.
But so are the cherry tomatoes.

I wonder if it's a NY thing? I'm a hundred miles or so north of
Digital Vinyl and I see the tiny tomatoes sold as "Grape Tomatoes".
Luckily when I bought the plants last spring I asked for "those tiny
grape tomatoes" and my nurseryman pointed out the difference between
what was a tiny tomato and what was a grape tomato.

I grew a single Sweet 100 last year. We had a horridly wet [but hot]
summer but my garden is a well mulched sand bed so I had a great year
for tomatoes. I had some splitting, but my 8foot plant never had any
disease/mold/mildew. I dried all the excess so I kept up with the
yield all season.

Jim