Old 15-03-2006, 06:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Steve

Default neighbor brought over dendrobium

J Fortuna wrote:

It's tag just says Dendrobium, so I assume that it is one of the most
popular types of dendrobiums. Is it most likely to be a Phalaenopsis type
dendrobium?
........................ Could I just look
at the wrinkliness of one of the newer pseudobulbs to assess when this
dendrobium needs watering? That's what I do with the two mini-catts that I
have. I look at the pseudobulb that has flowered most recently, and if it
starts wrinkling, I water. .........................

Let me reply to these two parts.

Look at where the old, dried inflorescences are located. Are they all
located at the top of the cane or at least very close to the top? If you
can answer yes to that, well that's good news for you. Phal type
Dendrobiums WILL bloom with lower light than some of the other
Dendrobiums. It would need no more light than your mini-catts most likely.
In my opinion, if you wait to see the new pseudobulbs get wrinkly, the
plant has already been too dry for a few days. This is true on the
mini-catts too. Rather than let them wrinkle every time, you should use
the wrinkles as your clue that you should water more often. Water on a
schedule that just barely keeps the pseudobulbs plump.

Grow that Dendrobium! I want to see the flowers. :-)

Steve