Old 12-03-2003, 05:20 PM
Gene Schurg

Default Greenhouse or Grow Room?

TS,

I'll throw in my 2 cents on this topic.

I grew for many years under lights, various types of lights, and in various
locations within the house. Last year I build a greenhouse. I did the
whole works and spent much much more than you are considering.

I love it and would never consider going back to growing indoors
underlights. Last month when the outdoor temp was in the 20's I was in
shorts and a tee-shirt in my bare feet caring for my collection. The
radiant heat from the sun felt like a great spring day. I splashed water
everywhere and it ran into the drain and I didn't have to worry about it. My
only regret is that the days are so short this time of the year to enjoy the
sun out there.

I think you get what you pay for! For $1,000 you are getting a large cold
frame that would give you the ability to extend the season a few weeks on
either end. I don't think you'd be happy in the long run with that. It
would do nothing more than protect your plants from frost and create a lot
of work controlling the environment.

What you are looking at might work further south where they have a few
days/weeks of cold weather north of DC it would not be practical from
Halloween through March without additional heat. Then there is the cooling.
Before I put the shade cloth back on last week and powered up the fan from
the evaporative cooler my greenhouse was getting over 100 degrees in
February. Just the vents alone were not enough to keep it in the 80s where
I prefer.

An unheated/uncooled greenhouse would need so much daily attention that you
would find yourself out there all the time working to keep the environment
just right. If you wanted to go away for a couple of days you could return
to find warm or cold mush where you left beautifully growing orchids.

For the price range you are talking I'd recommend staying with something in
the house. Save your nickels (dimes, quarters, and 20 dollar bills) and
someday build the dream greenhouse that gives you all environmental controls
and protection for your collection.