Old 15-03-2006, 03:54 PM posted to sci.bio.botany
Nadia talent

Default Nomenclature

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 14:14:45 -0700, P van Rijckevorsel wrote
(in article ):
ICBN Art 35.4. If in one whole publication (Art 35.5), prior to 1 January
1890, only one infraspecific rank is admitted, it is considered to be that
of variety unless this would be contrary to the author's statements in the
same publication."

I am sorry, but that is not relevant. Art 35.4 is designed for those cases
where the author does not indicate which rank he is using (as in the
/Species plantarum/, where infraspecific taxa are marked by Greek letters
alpha, beta, gamma: these names are taken to be varieties). If André did
indicate that he regarded this as a forma, that is the end of it: thereby it
is a forma. It does not matter if he used varietes as well or not.
* * *

I see the problem. Indeed your interpretation seems reasonable, but it is
not what the article says, as it is worded. I will post this on Taxacom,
and perhaps that way someone will point me to a published statement about
interpretation, or at least the ambiguity will be brought to the attention
of the editorial committee of the code.

Nadia Talent

Nadia Talent
Department of Botany, University of Toronto,
25 Willcocks Street, Toronto, M5S 3B2, Canada
Fax +1 416-978-5878
Also: Department of Natural History,
Royal Ontario Museum, 100 Queen's Park West, Toronto, M5S 2C6