Old 15-03-2006, 06:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Brian

Default Can I dig up snowdrops?

"Sacha" wrote in message
id...
On 15/3/06 16:44, in article , "androo"
wrote:

A friend wants some of my snowdrops, but I don't want to damage them by
digging them up at the wrong time. How and when should I do it?

Dig them now, while they're still 'in the green' e.g. still have the

leaves
on them and the flowers just going over. They do much better planted that
way than in simply moving the leafless, flowerless bulbs.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

All experiments have supported Sacha's comments. It is normal to just
wait for the flowers to have lost colour and they transplant easily and with
no hesitation. Removed as bulbs they tend to take a further year to settle
down and are much more difficult to deal with or find!
Bluebells can also be moved and divided 'in the green' but IME they
tend to be very deep~~ at least in my soil. My best result with b.bells, in
a glade, was to spread seeds. The area was 'shimmering' within three years.
Best wishes Brian.